Vectorworks 2017 was released on Wednesday and it is already being hailed from far and wide and the best new release of the powerfu; design software ever. Or, as Cole Porter would say Evah. Vectorworks is THE preemminent design software package for the entertainment industries. So, Cole Porter, natch!
What’s new you might ask? I have to check. I’ve had the opportunity to test the beta software, so the new features are already well integrated into my workflow.
A comprehensive look is going to take a few posts. Consider these highlights:
- A new Resource Manager that aids int eh organization of symbols, textures, styles, and other, well, resources that are used all of the time.
Object Styles. So when you’re looking for the Spotlight Lighting Device symbols (now integrated with Vision) look in the Resource Manager>Object Styles folder. In short, object styles allow the user to set a combination of parameters, by style to be identical for all instances in the file and/or define parameters for each instance of the object in the file.
- Cable Tools for entertainment lighting
- The Camera Match Tool has been integrated into the application.
- The Structural Member Tool allows for rapid modeling of complex structures. You’ll see these creations in festivals and experiences everywhere soon.
- Everybody into the Cloud! Vectorworks Cloud Services is now available to all. This feature facilitates sharing of information with the team, and with clients.
- Project Sharing has been greatly improved, and services like Dropbox integrated.
- Data Visualization.
That really ought to be enough, but wait! There’s more. So much more all of the features can’t be listed here. Vectorworks provides a list. We’ll post more in the next few days, Probably weeks.
Don’t forget the Virtual Reality feature!
With out thanks to the team at Vectorworks for all of their hard work.
I really should have included a Noel Coward reference. Hopefully next post…
In the meantime, this ought to get you started, or started drooling.