KLAD is an award winning design firm. We are collaborative; we work with and listen to our clients. We are visual, experiential storytellers; we educate, inform and entertain.
We create environments and experiences for Brand Communication, Live Entertainment, Film, Television, and Live Events.
We bring your vision to life…
Our clients come to us because they want a team that can deliver the exceptional – whether it is a theatrical set for a stage production, an experiential environment for a concert series or a set for a television show – KLAD provides the creative direction, powerful concepts and stylistic designs.
We set the bar high…
The KLAD team prides itself on the ability to provide on time solutions to any design problem, complex or not. From conceptualization to implementation, KLAD is focused on delivering the highest level of proficiency, creative direction, development, design and visual execution.
Our passion is in the work…
What we do at KLAD is not a job, it is our life. We love the creative process and it comes through in everything we do. We aim to surprise, thrill and excite our clients. Our experience has taught us to be flexible, to reach beyond the obvious, to explore new ways to bring ideas to life. We have a mastery of new technology that has simplified the process of transferring the creative thought into the visual concept.
Production Design and Creative Direction with award-winning work, we craft resonant storytelling environments working in theatre, film, television, live performance, events, activations, immersive restaurant and retail, fashions shows, and experiential marketing. Our focus has always been on how to communicate stories, ideas, practices and messages to different audiences in a way that is meaningful, believable, and where required, actionable.
We design to communicate ideas, whether they be in a script or in a brand strategy. We are Architects of Dreams in that we create what hasn’t been created before in order to activate unique audience experiences.
Random selections from our portfolio.
- At KLAD where we focus on Experience and Activation Design in all environments, we have been very pleased to be asked to create The Upside Down […]
- Over the years, KLAD has created a number of experiences for Budweiser/InBev. Here are a few, produced and unproduced. Some ideas do end up on the […]
- KLAD created a studio for the Transpiration Security Administration to use for their internal and external communication needs.
- This interactive exhibit was created in collaboration with the Entertainment Technology Center at Carnegie Mellon University. Students at the ETC combined old technology with new to […]
- KLAD was commissioned by the Durst Organization to create this motion graphic/animation for the screen at the top of 4 Times Square. This huge LED screen was an odd […]
- The Perfecter Styling devices are a product for folks with long hair on the go. A series of demos and interviews explains the products and showcases […]
- As long-time supporters of the New York Musical Festival, we worked with the producers, staff and the board of directors to create this award design in […]
The KLAD Team
Kevin Lee Allen
Designer, Producer, Author, Artist
He is a storyteller, a conceptual thinker, a leader and a communicator who translates visions and ideas into physical realities. He has been called an architect of dreams.
As an author, Kevin has written 12 books on Entertainment Design. Vectorworks for Entertainment Design, Entertainment Design: Scenery, Lighting and Sound with Vectorworks Spotlight, and Theatrical Design: An Introduction are currently in in print.
As an educator, Kevin has taught or lectured at Carnegie Mellon University, Montclair State University, Rutgers University and the Broadway Lighting Master Classes.
Kevin Lee Allen studied at Montclair State University where he obtained a degree in Theatre and Lester Polakov’s Studio & Forum of Stage Design in New York City.
He is noted also for his extraordinary service to his community as a board member or leader serving the arts and business communities.
In addition to the Emmy Award, Kevin Lee Allen’s designs have been honored with BDA and PROMAX Awards for television design. His design sketches are held in private collections, and in the permanent collection of the Library of Congress.
Kevin Lee Allen is a member of the IATSE/United Scenic Artists Local 829.
Producer & Director of Design
Other projects she has helmed include the look for the numbers 1 through 10 as seen on Sesame Street, work for HBO, the Sci-Fi Channel Anthology series Exposure starring Lisa Marie and The Forensics of Terror for the Discovery Channel.
Other clients include General Motors, PBS, HBO, Sesame Street, SyFy, the Discovery Channel and The Department of Defense.
An avid yoga practitioner and teacher, Kathleen is registered with the National Yoga Alliance and specializes in therapeutic and restorative yoga.
As an active member of her community, Ms McDonough was instrumental in coordinating the goals of the Historic Preservation Commission with the Montclair Center Business Improvement District.